5G Investment News
  • Top News
  • Economy
  • Forex
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
No Result
View All Result
5G Investment News
  • Top News
  • Economy
  • Forex
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Editor’s Pick
No Result
View All Result
5G Investment News
No Result
View All Result
Home Stock

Minority senators seek due process safeguards on possible ICC warrants

by
February 19, 2026
in Stock
0
Minority senators seek due process safeguards on possible ICC warrants
PHILIPPINE STAR/ GABRIEL BONJOC

SENATORS from the minority bloc have filed a resolution urging Philippine authorities to ensure Filipinos are first afforded due process in local courts before being surrendered to international tribunals, amid reports of possible arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

“It is the sense of the Senate of the Philippines to protect all Filipinos against extraordinary rendition and guarantee them a reasonable time prior to their surrender by or extradition from the Philippines to seek redress from the courts and avail of legal remedies,” Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter S. Cayetano said in a statement, citing Senate Resolution No. 307. A copy of the resolution was not immediately available.

Mr. Cayetano said compliance with international arrest orders must still pass through the country’s legal system.

“If the interpretation is that when there is an arrest order from the ICC or any international court, we will immediately pick it up and take it to another country, it is very dangerous,” he said. “This is not just a matter of one person — it is a matter of our sovereignty and our constitutional framework.”

The resolution comes after the ICC identified several high-profile figures as co-perpetrators in former President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s anti-drug campaign. Among those named were Senators Ronald “Bato” M. dela Rosa and Christopher Lawrence “Bong” T. Go, both allies of Mr. Duterte.

The former President was arrested last year by the International Criminal Police Organization following an ICC warrant and is detained in The Hague, Netherlands, facing charges of crimes against humanity. The Philippines withdrew from the ICC in 2018, with its exit taking effect in 2019.

The minority bloc said the naming of Mr. Go and Mr. dela Rosa in ICC documents makes them vulnerable to extradition without a hearing, stressing that the state must ensure access to legal remedies before any surrender.

“Due process and the rule of law should not be sacrificed at the altar of a blind pursuit of justice,” according to the statement.

Also mentioned in court documents were former Justice Secretary Vitaliano N. Aguirre II; former Philippine National Police chiefs Vicente D. Danao, Jr., Camilo P. Cascolan and Oscar D. Albayalde; ex-National Bureau of Investigation chief Dante A. Gierran; and former Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency head Isidro S. Lapeña.

Mr. Aguirre and Mr. Go have denied the allegations. Mr. dela Rosa has not attended Senate sessions since Nov. 11, 2025, when reports of a possible warrant first surfaced. The ICC has yet to issue arrest warrants against the senators. — Adrian H. Halili

Previous Post

House aims to pass anti-dynasty bill before July SONA

Next Post

4th impeachment complaint versus VP Duterte sent to House Speaker

Next Post

4th impeachment complaint versus VP Duterte sent to House Speaker

Enter Your Information Below To Receive Free Trading Ideas, Latest News And Articles.







    Fill Out & Get More Relevant News





    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.
    Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

    Recommended

    BSP cuts key rate amid growth slump

    BSP cuts key rate amid growth slump

    February 19, 2026

    Philippines’ BoP deficit sharply narrows in January

    February 19, 2026
    DoF to review OECD call to phase out VAT exemptions for senior citizens, private schools

    DoF to review OECD call to phase out VAT exemptions for senior citizens, private schools

    February 19, 2026

    Gov’t raises P235B in new money from FXTNs

    February 19, 2026

    Disclaimer: 5GInvestmentNews.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice.
    The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Copyright © 2024 5GInvestmentNews. All Rights Reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • suspicious engagement
    • Terms & Conditions
    • Thank you

    © 2026 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.